Saturday, April 21, 2007

Dancing...An Integral Transformative Practice

Living an integral holistic life is fostered by doing what some call ITP, Integral TransformativePractice. Ken Wilber says that it is the exercise of body, mind, and spirit in self, nature, and culture. That is the simple definition and it works for me. Last night I took my first Tango lesson and it felt like ITP in it's best sense of the word.

Dance may be the very best of transformative practices. First, you are certainly exercising your body. Following the instructor's direction requires total concentration of the mind. And when we flow to the music and our partner we are definitely having a spiritual experience...especially when doing the Tango. (God it's sexy.)

My dance career began in high school doing the bouncing up and down in place to rock and roll, that is, when I got up the courage to ask a girl to dance. Some years ago I learned how to Cajun and Zydeco dance at a Roots type music festival. That totally broadened my social life. I went on to take Country and Western line dancing (and drink beer). In the last few years Swing, Lindy Hop, Salsa, and now Tango, have enriched my life--physically, mentally, and spiritually. I gotta tell you, if you are not dancing you are missing out of one of the best holistic integral experiences around!

Let's see...that was quick, quick, slow, quick, quick, slow...

No comments: