Thursday, April 12, 2007

It's all about perspective

Richard Bach wrote Illusions back in the 1980's. The book calls into question what it is that we are really seeing when we look out into our worlds. Maybe much of what we take for granted is just an illusion, albeit a convincing one. Reading that book was like walking out of a dark cave and while my eyesight wasn't clear, it wasn't totally darkened anymore either. Since then I've tried to stay out of the cave and improve my vision. While blindness can be from within, I've found that most of my difficulties haven't originated from my genes but from my perspective.

If there is one truth that I've learned in my life, it is that what I see is determined more by who I am than by what is out there in the physical world. This blog is dedicated to finding ways to improve perspective, make it more holistic, more integral, more comprehensive, and more balanced. And as expected, it all starts within. My intention here is to share what I have learned and continue to learn about all things holistic and integral.

After years of searching, getting more education than I ever imagined possible for someone who barely graduated from high school, I been putting my lessons on paper. It's time to share them with whomever finds their way here. I hope that I can call into question what most of us think of as reality, in the long tradition of philosophers and fools, and make a little contribution to the betterment of our existence on this planet.

In the coming weeks I will post sections and chapters of a book I have written on the subject, Holistic Perspectives: An Introduction to Integral Thinking. It should be published before the end of the year, but you can read it here for free.

Meanwhile, I will leave you with this thought from Baruch Spinoza which probably summarizes everything that will ever be written here: "The more clearly you understand yourself and your emotions, the more you become a lover of what is."

1 comment:

Unknown said...

Having read your complete profile, and having learned about you from Dr. Noh, a great Chinese scientific/philosopher of Forbidden City University (CUOFC), I would like to submit my own profile: Starting at the shoulders continuing down on the ventral side (belly) the profile is pretty flat, then it deviates around a subcutaneous bowling ball continuing past a microscopic (yet defined and unique) bump similar to the endo-deviation. I believe the proper term would be peeviation. Thank you for the opportunity to offer my own complete profile (ventral). The spiritual leader of Tibet sent you his good thoughts for me to relay. I told him Hello Dalai for you.