Wednesday, August 12, 2009

Providing Shade In August

There comes a time when you just are not supposed to do a lot. For trees it's winter. For me it's this summer. Learning to just be. To check in once in a while and watch my breath. Even better, watching the waves play with the sand on the shore. More peace and simple happiness these days than in years past. I could get used to this.

I notice things more than I used to. Got upset the other day at the gym when someone changed the channel to Fox News. Became aware of how my ego played its part in all of that. Why do I have to be invested in being right and the right (Republicans) being wrong? It is what it is. I don't know what is right and wrong (I know that sounds like relativism, but how do we know the truth?). I want to love what is.

It's all a process and it takes time to grow a tree. I am a tree. It's taken years to establish a strong root system. The tree is big enough and the branches bearing limbs and leaves. Fruit has been picked...hopefully still more to come. At this point in my life providing shade seems like a useful way to be. That's a perfect metaphor for my life now that action (bearing fruit) isn't such a priority.

I am a tree bearing leaves providing shade for all who find themselves sitting under my branches. Feel the soft gentle breeze?

2 comments:

Unknown said...

I'm a young tree still deepening my roots, amassing a trunk, increasing my branches, all with the hope of bearing abundant fruit for my family to eat. Busy, busy, busy! I got a lot from our last conversation and I'm sure I'll reflect on it for some time but if you've got the time then I can always use more interaction.

Isabel Burnett said...

getting angry is a natural emotion. I have found that is ok to feel that way, as long as you are angry at the idea and not the person. Also, it seems to have more meaning (to me anyways) if someone attacks my ideology on a point by point basis, rather than making a blank statement towards a set of ideas. for example: saying "you democrats are all idiots" doesnt gain my respect as does saying "the idea of ____________________________ which the republican party supports, is idiotic.