Sunday, August 23, 2009

Choices, Now and in the Future

It only works in the present moment. We can't make a change and think that it will last. Why? Because it only works in the present moment.

Wouldn't we all like to, for instance, choose not to eat refined carbohydrates any more? Or choose to stop wasting time, or energy? Think of all the things you would like to change. Why can't we once and for all make a choice and be done with it? Why do we commit to a new diet today only to go off it tomorrow? Because we live only in the present. We do not and cannot live in both the present and the future.

I was thinking about an unhappy event today. I wanted to just let it go and be done with it. My mind wanted to keep going over what a rotten thing this person had done. But I wanted no more of it. Right then and there I said good bye to the thoughts. And I realized that while that could work for the moment, later on those same thoughts would come back. Why? Because we can only choose for the present moment, we cannot choose for the future. We don't live there.

Want to make changes in your life? Once isn't enough. We must choose every day until the change becomes real. I guess life is a little more challenging than we'd like it to be.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I've found myself coming back to your blogs and YouTube channel a number of times over the past year. I appreciate your thoughtful insights and I just wanted to add a comment to say thank you. Your words have been a kind gift on my path - Curtis

Unknown said...

A very hard truth to swallow but all we can do is continue making and attempt refine our intentions right?