Thursday, June 14, 2007

Always a Struggle

It's seems like months since I have been trying to eat mostly (80%) raw foods. I can do vegan. I can do breakfast (smoothies) and lunch (salads, nuts, avocados) and feel healthy raw. But I reach for the starches (breads), the fats (butter-like spread), and the sweets (semi-sweet chocolate chips) at dinner-time or evening snack. Sometimes it's worse. And the end result is that even though I am not eating animal products, I've found a way to still put shit into my body!

This is so not easy. I swear to God it is a full-time commitment just eating healthy. I read tonight about a doctor telling the story of a man with elevated cholesterol. The man didn't want to go on statins to lower it and he had a heart attack. The doctor was selling his services--come to my office and let me give you the magic pill.

Of course, first the doctor told the patient to change his eating habits. So, you know what the man did? He stopped putting mayonnaise on his double bacon cheeseburgers. You'd think the doctor would have said that that wasn't really enough. I'd rather give up the crappy food than take the pills. Statins are know to cause liver and muscle damage.

So, tomorrow morning I will, I promise, take out my raw food books, get some inspiration, and eat in a way that honors my body.

(Can you hear the soft fan of my dehydrator making flax seed crackers? They've been drying all day. I wonder how tasty they will be?)

No comments: