Saturday, June 2, 2007

Four Days in New York City

I just spent the last four days in New York City attending the PMA Publishing University Conference. Yikes! People are taking publishing back from the big New York publishing houses and producing books themselves. It is exciting to realize that individuals, even without a lot of financial resources, can get their ideas literally out across the entire planet.

There is no excuse for any writer to be shut out of the world-wide conversation. Books, articles, audio and visual presentations all can be made available either in print, plastic, or on the Internet, without a lot of money. I came away from the conference with a greater understanding of the whole book publishing process: writing, editing, production, and marketing. It all can be done by one person or a small team. So many possibilities, so little time (just kidding, we have the rest of our lives).

From a holistic perspective I must balance my enthusiasm to want to do everything with what I am best suited to do. I want to learn editing, book layout, web design, marketing, how to write better, manage a publishing house, acquire enlightenment...better stop there. Anyhow, I am determined to organize what I have learned and then do what is best for me to do.

Staying healthy in NYC was not as easy as I thought it would be. Instead of a great variety of food options, most of the restaurants repeated the same themes. I am glad to be back home where I can make my own fruit smoothies and salads the way I like them.

Okay, gotta go, lots to do! Power to the people!

No comments: