Saturday, June 30, 2007

Finding purpose in Life

We all feel shitty at times. I don't mean physically here, but emotionally. Sometimes I wake up in the morning and I realize that there is nothing interesting or exciting to do for the day. It's going to be just a normal, nothing to get excited about kind of day. My first thought is more like a feeling of numbness or "so what?"

I would say that happens a lot, wake up, just a normal day, so what. I don't know if it is from reading good books, or trying hard to be like all of the great people in my life, but then a much better thought comes running calmly into my mind: I am here only to be truly helpful. That saying comes directly from A Course in Miracles. And right then and there it is as if someone flipped a switch on my emotions and I feel myself lift and look a my day from a whole other perspective.

When I am thinking about myself and making myself happier I do not get happier, I either get anxious--as in "what can I do now?"-- or I get depressed if I can't think of anything good to do. I don't know why but more and more, right away I remember that saying from the Course, and the my feelings change immediately. I think that may have a lot to do with me being happier now than at any time in my life--and there is nothing especially exciting going on to cause that.

Another aspect of this is highlighted by research done by UCLA psychologists. They are finding out that when we name our emotions, we calm ourselves down. This is believed to be one of the reasons that meditation is so beneficial. Mindfulness techniques help people to pay attention to what they are feeling, and in noticing these feelings, making them more explicit and aware of what is going on inside, those negative emotions tend to dissolve. Another good reason to take up a meditation practice.

This may be what is happening to me when I become aware of my morning feelings, only I move directly to something positive to fill the empty space of letting go of that emotion. Whatever it is, I plan on keep doing it--I like what is going on.


No comments: