Saturday, August 11, 2007

The Pleasure of Meditation

One of the first things I do every morning is meditate for about 20 minutes. I tell myself that this is the most important thing I will do today. I am trying to add another time to meditate around noon and another later in the day. I want to stay connected to what is real.

Usually I read a passage from Ekhart Tolle's "The Power of Now" to help me get in the mood.

This morning I was feeling how enjoyable it is to meditate. My body was peaceful, as well as my mind. Everything felt calm and pleasurable. But another part of me was pushing to finish up and get on with my day. How strange. Meditation is so enjoyable, but don't we often think of it as something we have to do before we get on with things? Like it's a chore, or a job.

At that moment I realized that there was a part of me, I think it is the mind, that doesn't like it when I meditate. It is the same part of me that wants to eat what makes it feel good, or wants to watch TV and be entertained. The mind wants what it wants (it wants problems and drama), and I don't think it is often what I want. I like the pleasure and the peace of just sitting there, my thoughts (and mind) not cluttering up things.

I am going to pay attention to this part of me that tries to control my life and isn't who "I" really am. There is a deeper, truer Self that knows better what will make my life whole, healthy, and happy. And I think that real Self comes out when I meditate. I'd like to see it also when I make my food choices, when I make choices about what I am going to do with my time.

I'm not going to listen to my mind trick me into believing that meditation is work--hell, it's not work, it is a real pleasure.

1 comment:

Timothy H. Warneka said...

Erroring one way doesn't mean we can't error the other way. Don't let your mind trick you into believing that meditation is a real pleasure, either.

Compassionate detachment seems to hold a high place in meditation for me. I'm trying to reach the point where I can meditate and if it is a pleasure, that's okay, but not to hold on to it. Same thing for when I experience meditation as work.

Just my two cents.

Tim Warneka