Wednesday, September 5, 2007

Nirvana?


The world may be round, but it sure feels flat. Everything I do, especially walking, I do as if the world were flat. If I hadn't seen pictures of the planet from space I'd have a hard time believing in a round world.



My experience of my self sure feels like I'm an individual self. I mean, I'm me, you are you, and everybody else is who they are, separate selves. If I had not experienced for my self, one time during meditation, that my separate self is an illusion and that I am only a manifestation of some larger all-inclusive self, I would still believe that I am just little old me and nothing else.

Nirvana has been defined as a breakthrough in consciousness in which one never thinks of oneself as a separate self again. It is never seeing the world as flat anymore. All it takes is that one experience. Often when I mediate I recall that awareness of being one with all consciousness and I remember who I really am. I experience the universe as an organic whole, of which I am a part. Subject-object duality is seen for what it is--an illusion.

By the way, the picture on the side is of the equator in Ecuador. The yellow line is the equator itself.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

A Sailor Who Can't Tell That the World is Round

Who the heck are you kidding? Like you haven't noticed ships approaching from beyond Blockhead Island.

RE: Nirvana. Have you ever considered that Nirvana is that breakthrough in metaphysical states of consciousness that allows the Chela to exist as one with all. However, instead of the sinking of the consciousness into the soup of the oversoul or godhead like when death occurs, Nirvana may be that place where connection to the whole is complete, but with the added evolution point of retaining your consciousness of self there too. This is a trick for the adepts, not most of us. Still, it's a good thing to know and meditate on.

In closing: Nirvana is a duality.

1) Connection with the Infinite
2) Retention of self awareness when connected to the Infinite.

So Mote It Be, Dogbreath.

Anonymous said...

The Equator Itself Is a Yellow Line?

As a retired Legend of Airpower, I have to point out that it has been my personal observation that there are no geopolitical orthographics on the surface of Terra. In short, I have never seen a border (I don't think they really exist).