Tuesday, July 3, 2007

Pruning Perspectives

I have this lemon tree that my Dad gave to me. He grew it from a seed. I've kind of neglected it and it became--rather ugly looking. In fact, after having it for about 10 years, I was about to throw it out. Sorry to see what happened to it. Maybe I could have done a better job tending it.

I'm not sure why, but instead of dumping it I cut back all the dead leaves and branches and put it outside on the porch. There was not much left of the thing but two little surviving shoots. I did not expect the tree to survive.

It's been three weeks now. This morning I counted six new vibrant branches busting out all over the place, one even out of the ground! The thing has a new life--and I'm determined to make this new one better than the old.

Here's the moral of the story--sometimes we gotta cut out the dead parts of our lives in order for the new aspects of ourselves to bust out. We can start over, we can have a second chance. Sometimes loss can be a good thing. And change. But--along with the cutting out we need a little sunshine and water, don't forget the water!

No comments: