Tuesday, November 18, 2008

Stop Seeking and Start Giving

A lesson from Scott Kalechstein's newsletter: There comes a time to stop seeking and start giving. Maybe I shouldn't be so worried about fixing myself and live.

Recently I've been trying hard to be a good meditator. Paying attention to my breath. But it is so hard to know when you are doing it right. In fact, it is impossible. How do I know, my mind might be wandering without me knowing it because I'm watching my breath? The thing is, we can't know concretely that we are doing a good job of being more mindful. We can only try. But we can give and live. Our actions can tell us if we are succeeding. Am I more peaceful? Do I get less aggrevated over things that happen?

I think I think too much. It is all well and good to seek the truth, to grow and learn how to be a better person. But there comes a time when the seeking has to take a back seat to the serving. If I do not do anything for other people what good is truth anyway?

I have been trying to find out what I am supposed to do next with my life. It seems to me that the next thing isn't about fixing me, but serving you. The question isn't what do I do next, it's how can I be useful.

No comments: