Sunday, November 23, 2008

Travel and See the World

We are told to travel and see the world. That is a good thing. It's educational. But for me it has been a dangerous thing.

What happens when you travel and see lots of places and decide that you would rather be there than here? It is kind of like an infection that doesn't go away. Even when you are able to move about the fever still burns underneath.

I love my home, my family, my friends. I love the city I live in, the company I own, the beach in the summer. But now, all the while I am home I wonder what is Hoa doing in Vietnam and Rocio in Ecuador, Maria Luz in Peru and Rosaria in Italy. Is Perry still drinking like crazy in Nicaragua? I miss them all and long to be somewhere else.

If only I could gather them all up and bring them home or take my family and friends to them. But I can't and that is the curse of travel. Be careful when you take off to see the world. You will lose parts of your heart. Fortunately, your heart will become much bigger and in the end, while feeling the pain of separation you will also feel the comfort of being loved.

No comments: