Saturday, October 27, 2007

Life's a Suspense Novel

I woke up this morning thinking that I would like my life to be more exciting than it is. In other words, I wanted some drama. Then the thought came to me that I probably wouldn't have to wait too long because looking back on my life I've had plenty of drama and excitement.

The comparison to a novel came to mind. My life is a suspense novel. Right now there is a lull in the action, but that doesn't mean that important things are not happening. While I want to hurry up and turn the page, the writer of my life is developing character, characters, setting scenes, adding textures.

I think I'll try to enjoy the suspense of not knowing what will happen next. Why not, if my life were a book I'd be totally into the thrill and drama of not knowing what is going to happen. Instead of being in a rush to turn the page, I could enjoy the detail of the page I'm reading now. Soon enough a new character will appear, a new problem to be solved, who knows what danger lurks around the next corner? Might as well snuggle up with the book and enjoy the ride.

Before going to bed last night I read this in A Course in Miracles:

Heaven itself is reached with empty hands and open minds, which come with nothing to find everything.

No comments: