Thursday, October 4, 2007

Therapy

So, I went to my therapist today and got a clean bill of health...mental health, that is. I like working with Jenny, I try to be as honest as I can and I get to find out if I'm still, as we sailors say, "between the buoys."

We discussed a situation in my life, and I knew going in not to expect any answers. That is not what therapy is about. For me, it is a chance to discuss my life and listen to another person's perspective. It helps me to see some things that I might overlook because I am either too close or maybe I don't want to see.

So, here's the deal. I am like the trapeze guy who's between bars. I can either hurry and grab onto the next one, or live in the space between for a while. I feel safe enough to stay in the space. I've learned that grabbing doesn't work in the long run.

Nothing says it all better than this from A Course In Miracles (the book I turn to when I really need help): "All that is asked of you is to make room for truth. You are not asked to make or do what lies beyond your understanding. All you are asked to do is let it in; only to stop your interference with what will happen of itself."

Can anything be better than this: a great therapist and a book that speaks directly to your heart?

No comments: