Tuesday, October 2, 2007

Purpose, meaning, and goals

Since I returned from Denmark I have been in a bit of a funk. Not depressed or anything, but generally having a feeling of sadness. The good thing is that I've learned that when I feel like this it is best to spend more time reflecting and becoming more aware of what is going on. And when things get really painful I pick up my copy of A Course In Miracles. I can always count on that to go right to the heart of the matter. I did that on Sunday.

In the workbook, Lesson 25, I read: "I do not know what anything is for." Sound familiar? And: "Purpose is meaning. Everything is for your own best interests. That is what it is for; that is its purpose; that is what it means." I am reminded of Richard Bach when he writes: "Some of the best things that happened to me turned out to be the worst, and some of the worst things that happened to me turned out to be the best."

It's a struggle as usual, but in the pain I at least feel peace. I can live with that and even be happy about it. And somewhere in the purpose of all this is meaning.

Near the end of the lesson: "It is crucial to your learning to be willing to give up the goals you have established for everything."

I am willing. After all, I don't know what anything is for.

You know, life does give us plenty of challenges, but we are always given the choice...the easy way or the hard way. Letting go is the easy way, having to do it our way is the hard way. I'm letting go.

No comments: