Monday, January 19, 2009

Back To Vietnam?

"I travel because I must." Those are the words of my nephew Ralph Riccio. They could be mine as well. Yesterday I searched for flights to Mexico. My idea was to spend 3 or 4 weeks in Puerto Vallarta. That would be a comfortable escape from the cold New England winter. I wouldn't be gone too long. But I couldn't find any flights that made sense to me.

I woke up this morning and checked my email. Among them were two from the language school in Saigon that I was supposed to attend. The first was a invitation to a welcome dinner to meet fellow trainees and staff. The second email provided information on orientation for the course that begins February 2.

Returning to Vietnam was the last thing on my mind as I woke up this morning. So why did I get up out of bed and check flights back to Saigon, saying to myself, "well, maybe if they are cheaper, maybe I just might consider going back." Take a moment and breathe. Take more than a moment, take a month until this whole thing passes over. I am not a crazy person.

"I travel because I must."

It didn't help that the airline tickets were half the price that they were back in early January. Why am I even considering going back? Haven't I learned my lessons.?

Well, I wouldn't mind just having that certificate to teach English as a foreign language. I've already paid the $1200 for the course. And most of my accommodations are already paid for. Hum...

What will he do?

"I travel because I must." Damn it Ralph, did you have to tell me that?

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Where is this man that I spoke with on the treadmill on Saturday, and where is Frank?