Saturday, January 3, 2009

The Real Secret: Wanting What You Get

Personal development is not about getting what you want. It's about wanting what you get.

The conversation at a raw food potluck dinner today turned to generating abunance in our lives. God wants us to have wealth. Drawing on the teachings of The Secret, I was told that we can create unlimited happiness, health, love, and prosperity, effortlessly. We just need the intention. A lot of people believe this or want to. The idea has sold a heck of a lot of books.

So that's it. This is the secret of life. My young friend wants to invest $13,000 in a seminar that will help him become wealthy. $8,000 of that goes to the person who signs him up, and $5,000 goes to the promoters of the seminar. Out of that maybe a couple thousand actually go to putting on the seminar. Sounds like they have found the secret. Oh, the seminar is about personal development. He wanted to know my thoughts. I said it sounds like a pyramid scheme to me.

That got me to thinking about what really is personal development. If we believe the people who brought us The Secret, personal development is getting what you want. How much development is that. A baby knows how to get what it wants. Just ask, if asking doesn't work, cry. And that's how most people expect God, or the Universe, to respond to them, their needs, and wants. That to me does not show any personal development at all. Asking God for things, even good things, implies that you know better and that somehow God is forgetting to give you what you need.

Here is my take on personal development: want what you get. What an interesting concept. At first blush it sounds stupid and nonsensical. How can I want what I get? I get what I get. Yes, but you can also want it. Wanting what you get implies that you understand that God, or the Universe, knows what he/she is doing. And, conversely, that you probably don't. After 56 years on this planet I do know one thing for sure. God does know what he/she is doing and I don't. That's it. That, my friends, is the secret.

So to my young friend, don't waste your time asking for what you think you need or want. You really don't know what will make you happy anyway. Try just wanting what you do get. That will keep you plenty busy. And if you can truly get to that point you will have all the happiness that you could ever have asked for.

No comments: