Friday, July 20, 2007

Runner's High

It has been exactly two months since I've gotten serious about changing my diet. During this time, I have for the most part stopped eating animal products and cooked foods. Notice that I didn't say "give up" eating, that would indicate that I was "not" doing something. Instead, my perspective on this is that I am doing something positive--I am eating raw, living food.

The interesting thing is that I do not feel as though I am depriving myself of anything. I will be honest, every so often I do have ice cream. (I know there is a recipe for raw ice cream out there and when I find it...) So, I am losing weight and I feel lighter not only in body, but also in spirit. I don't feel as attached to things anymore.

Goji berries--get 'em! For the last two weeks I've been eating dried goji berries before running in the morning. Goji berries are the most sacred food in Chinese medicine. They are extremely high in protein and have ten times the antioxidants of blueberries. I now eat the berries as a pre-breakfast snack. (My main breakfast is a green smoothie that I have after running, at around 10 am.)

So, yesterday, I am running as usual, and after five miles I decided to keep going. Somewhere between six and seven miles I experienced the most intense runners high I have ever had. Oh, what a feeling! I ended up running eight miles yesterday and I am sure the goji berries had a lot to do with it. This is why I am not worried about becoming totally raw and the perfect vegan: if I just pay attention and keep learning, picking up new ideas, foods, recipes, if I improve a little each week, the process can be fun and painless.


1 comment:

Anonymous said...

This is great info to know.