Saturday, July 28, 2007

Ten Miles and Still Raw

I ran the 10 mile Narragansett Blessing of the Fleet with my daughter Angela yesterday. Like an idiot I thought I could run it faster than I did two years ago. Back then, my first race, I paced myself. Yesterday I ran faster, until I reached the five mile marker and began to get tired. The last half of the race was pure pain in order not to suffer the humiliation of walking.

I had passed Angela, who is a better runner than I am, around the two mile mark. I was dragging along towards the end when she passed me after nine miles. I kept her in sight and within fifty yards of the finish I sprinted to catch up, I did, but she then sprinted away from me. I had to keep sprinting, after nearly ten miles of running, to finish the race right behind her. Like I said, I'm an idiot. I'm paying the price today, sore all over.

The best thing about yesterday, besides running with my beautiful daughter, was that I stayed raw and lost three pounds. I had a green smoothing this morning and feel good, inside at least. Life is good. A little yoga now and I'll be back in ship shape. I am keeping firmly in mind that it is not about having perfect bodily health, but health of body, mind, and spirit.

No comments: